Here's How it Works
The entire blood donation process takes just over an hour.
For a quick overview of the new process that is in donor centres now, watch our video.
- Make sure you drink lots of water; get plenty to eat and a good night's sleep
- Make sure to bring valid ID
- Donor Card (Existing Donors)
- Eligibility Quiz
- Arrive at the blood donor clinic to a friendly welcome from our staff. They'll greet you, do a quick identification check and direct you to the first station in the process.
- You'll complete the Donor Questionnaire on a touchscreen, answering the donation questions on a tablet! It's completely confidential and there to protect you and the person who receives the blood.
- You'll be able to skip this step if you have a blood donor ID number, an appointment booked and your email address on file - then we can send the online questionnaire in advance.
- A trained staff member will go over your questionnaire answers with you and ask some additional questions to confirm you are good to donate.
- They'll give you a 'finger prick' test to check your level of hemoglobin (a protein which contains iron) and test your blood pressure.
Here is some information that will help you answer any questions you may have related to giving blood.
Feel free to send us a message if you can't find an answer you are looking for.
Voici quelques informations qui vous aideront à répondre à toutes vos questions concernant le don de sang.
N’hésitez pas à nous envoyer un message si vous ne trouvez pas la réponse que vous cherchez.
QIs there anything else I need to do before my appointment?ARPlease ensure that you read the donor brochure — What you must know to donate blood; What you must know to donate plasma or platelets; or, What you must know to donate plasma (for plasma donor centres in Sudbury, Lethbridge, Kelowna, Brampton and Orleans) — as it contains important information about the donation process.
How will I feel after the donation?ARMost people feel great. By drinking fluids and eating salty snacks before and after, you will maintain your blood volume and improve your donation experience. You can then return to your normal activities such as work and school. Avoid strenuous exercise for six to eight hours following your donation. And don't forget to keep on drinking extra fluids for the next 24 hours.
How long does the donation take?AR
The actual donation procedure is done by skilled, specially trained donor staff and takes 5 to 10 minutes. You will rest after donation, and enjoy refreshments. Plan to spend about an hour at the donor centre.
How to cancel an appointment?AR
You can cancel an appointment by logging into the donor portal. Log in and then select the option "cancel" from the Appointments page or call 1 888 2 DONATE (1-888-236-6283).
How do I book an appointment for a group?AR
You can book a block of appointments for a group of people to donate together. It's great for team-building while helping to save lives. Please call us at 1 888 2 DONATE (1-888-236-6283) and we will be happy to schedule a donation time for your group.
More Search Options - "Web Code"AR
Use the book now button at the top to find a donor centre if you have been given a Canadian Blood Services Web Code. You can book an appointment for today here or by calling 1 888 2 DONATE (1-888-236-6283). You can also book your next appointment at the donor centre when you donate.
How do I book an appointment?AR
You can book an appointment by searching for a donor centre by location, selecting an appointment date and time that suits you and then logging in to complete the booking.