Here's How it Works
The entire blood donation process takes just over an hour.
For a quick overview of the new process that is in donor centres now, watch our video.
- Make sure you drink lots of water; get plenty to eat and a good night's sleep
- Make sure to bring valid ID
- Donor Card (Existing Donors)
- Eligibility Quiz
- Arrive at the blood donor clinic to a friendly welcome from our staff. They'll greet you, do a quick identification check and direct you to the first station in the process.
- You'll complete the Donor Questionnaire on a touchscreen, answering the donation questions on a tablet! It's completely confidential and there to protect you and the person who receives the blood.
- You'll be able to skip this step if you have a blood donor ID number, an appointment booked and your email address on file - then we can send the online questionnaire in advance.
- A trained staff member will go over your questionnaire answers with you and ask some additional questions to confirm you are good to donate.
- They'll give you a 'finger prick' test to check your level of hemoglobin (a protein which contains iron) and test your blood pressure.
Here is some information that will help you answer any questions you may have related to giving blood.
Feel free to send us a message if you can't find an answer you are looking for.
Voici quelques informations qui vous aideront à répondre à toutes vos questions concernant le don de sang.
N’hésitez pas à nous envoyer un message si vous ne trouvez pas la réponse que vous cherchez.
How will I feel after the donation?
How long does the donation take?
The actual donation procedure is done by skilled, specially trained donor staff and takes 5 to 10
minutes. You will rest after donation, and enjoy refreshments. Plan to spend about an hour at
the donor centre.
How to cancel an appointment?
You can cancel an appointment by logging into the donor portal. Log in and then select the option "cancel" from the Appointments page or call 1 888 2 DONATE (1-888-236-6283).